LMI is a consultancy dedicated to powering a future-ready, high-performing government, drawing from expertise in digital and analytic solutions, logistics, and management advisory services. We deliver integrated capabilities that incorporate emerging technologies and are tailored to customers’ unique mission needs, backed by objective research and data analysis. Founded in 1961 to help the Department of Defense resolve complex logistics management challenges, LMI continues to enable growth and transformation, enhance operational readiness and resiliency, and ensure mission success for federal civilian and defense agencies.
LMI is seeking a skilled Data Scientist to support our goverment customers. This position will support program development and improvement workstream on projects to modernize and remediate systems and organizational processes within various government agencies. This position is embedded within our Data Analytics practice. Leverage your curiosity and problem-solving skills to explore, discover, and predict patterns contained within data sets for a wide range of government clients. This includes the derivation of clear narratives that help our clients understand their data and how those insights address their research questions.
- Demonstrate the ability to frame and scale data problems to analyze, visualize, and find data solutions.
- Manipulate common data formats, including comma-delimited, text files, and JSON.
- Derive insights and analytic narratives from data and visualizations for effective storytelling and clear communication in response to client research questions.
- Interpreting and developing data visualizations of simulation output to clearly convey findings.
- Possess the ability to work with and manipulate common data formats, including comma-delimited, text files, and JSON.
- Transforming data and analysis into informative data visualizations and/or interactive dashboards using open source and commercially available visualization and dashboard tools.
- Using data science techniques to support data-driven problem-solving and improved decision-making.
- Implementing business intelligence to improve decision-making.
- Monitoring operational effectiveness and make recommendations based on gathering and analyzing data on key performance indicators.
- Developing actionable information from analysis of performance indicators and operational data.
- Identifying and reviewing data related to performance that is available, and how often data is collected, and recommend how to use the data as key performance indicators.
- Recommending and supporting implementation of new collection methodologies to expand or consolidate the data requirements and analysis capabilities.
- Work in a fast-paced, solutions-oriented environment focused on client deliverables, analysis, and reporting.
- Active Secret clearance is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, computer science, economics, or other related business or technical discipline is required.
- 3-5+ years of professional experience in leading data science and business improvement efforts
- Proficiency in data cleaning and munging using Spark API (PySpark, SQL, SparkR), data visualization (plotly), ML knowledge and numerical simulation are pluses.
- Experience evaluating programs and operations and recommending process and technology improvements
- Experience working with tools including object-oriented programming (Python, C++, Java, etc), computational analysis tools (R, MATLAB), and associated data science libraries (scikit-learn).
- Experience creating meaningful data visualizations and interactive dashboards using platforms such as Tableau, Qlik, Power BI, RShiny, plotly, and d3.js to communicate findings and relate them back to how your insights create business impact
- Working knowledge of databases and SQL; preferred qualifications include linking analytic and data visualization products to database connections
- Preferred experience with data science methods related to data architecture, data munging, data and feature engineering, and predictive analytics. Additional preferred qualifications include working with unstructured text and natural language processing.
- Experience providing complex business solutions for large federal government organizations
- DoD Planning, Programming, Budgeting, Execution experience preferred
- R, Python, SAS, or MATLAB
- Anaconda, IBM Blue, and Oracle Big Data to analyze large data sets and develop automated analytics in making sense of data affecting DoD operations
- Developing machine learning, data mining, statistical network, natural language processing, text analytics, and graph-based algorithms to analyze massive data sets
- Supervising algorithm implementation in on-premise and cloud-based computing environments
- Developing software to generate reports and visualizations that summarize data sets and provide data-driven insights
- Developing and implementing statistical, machine learning, and heuristic techniques to create descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive analytics as well as to develop statistical tests to make data-driven recommendations and decisions