Principal, Expeditionary Learning Academy at Moylan School (Grades Prekindergarten 4 to 5) (C116-2324)
POSTING NUMBER: C116-2324
POSTING DATE: July 21, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
POSITION: Principal, Expeditionary Learning Academy at Moylan School (Grades Prekindergarten 4 to 5)
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools/Deputy Superintendent/Executive Director of School Leadership
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS: Hartford Public Schools is seeking a leader with a passion for educating children, a commitment to closing achievement gaps, and an ability to maximize learning for all students. Hartford Public Schools invites applications from knowledgeable and innovative professionals who are experienced in urban education and understand the range of academic, social, and emotional needs of students. Ideal candidates will have a proven track record in providing strong instructional leadership focused on student centered learning. Successful applicants will also have demonstrated experience managing talent, overseeing organizational systems, and engaging families and community partners for equity and excellence.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS, AND EXPERIENCE:
· Extensive instructional experience in urban/multi-cultural settings and cultural responsiveness
- Knowledge of and experience with the opportunities and needs of neighborhood schools
- Strong and collaborative leadership with an honest, transparent, and inclusive style that supports high student outcomes and educational excellence
- Demonstrated knowledge and effective use of technology in instruction, management, and communication
- Record of success leading and motivating adults (as a director, chair, coach, or administrator) and students
- Knowledge of pedagogy for development of curriculum and assessment that supports student learning
- Persistent use of data and researched-based focus on student achievement
- Demonstrated equitable leadership practices that impacted instruction, culture, and climate
- Knowledge of all federal and state mandates and regulations (IDEA, 504, Title IX, MTSS, etc.)
- Demonstrated skill in diverse staff recruitment, development, supervision, evaluation, and retention
- Ability to develop the professional capacity and practice of school personnel to promote student achievement
- Outstanding and visible communication skills with the ability to foster strong relationships with all members of the school community (students, teachers, families, staff) and community at large to advance the school’s mission and vision
- Demonstrated experience building partnerships and resources for a school and a willingness to work with various community partners
- Unwavering commitment to high academic achievement, social-emotional, and whole child development of all students
- Experience with multiple approaches to address behaviors and instructional practices that empower students, such as restorative practices, student centered learning, etc.
- Knowledge of financial management and ability to manage school operations and resources to promote each student’s academic success and well-being
- Ability to inspire excellence in others and hold staff accountable for student growth, academic results, performance, and culturally responsive practices
- Five (5) years of successful teaching experience
- One (1) year of successful experience as an assistant principal
- One (1) year of successful experience as a building principal, preferred
CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: Connecticut certification in Intermediate Administration and Supervision (092)
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary is in accordance with the Hartford Principals’ and Supervisors’ Association’s 2023-2024 Schedule for twelve-month positions: K-8 Principal, Salary Range of $133,844 to $152,363.
UNION AFFILIATION: Hartford Principals’ and Supervisors’ Association (HPSA); To learn more about the collective bargaining agreement please click here.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: To be considered, all internal and external applicants must fully complete a Hartford Public Schools’ online application at https://app.hirenimble.com/jobs/hartford. Internal candidates are advised to use their personal email when applying.
Upon submission, candidates’ applications and supporting documents will be reviewed. Candidates who advance through the initial review will be invited to interview with the Central Office Screening Panel, made up of school-based and central office leaders. Successful candidates will then be invited to next steps in the selection process.
To learn more about Expeditionary Learning Academy at Moylan School. School, please click here.
Hartford Public Schools (Hartford, Connecticut) isa diverse community of educators and approximately 17,000 students attending 39 distinctive magnet, community, and neighborhood schools, located in the capital city of Connecticut. We are committed to being a leader in innovative urban education, cultivating equity and excellence for all of our students, closing the opportunity gap, and preparing students for college and life.
Hartford Public Schools acknowledges that systems of injustice exist in our nation and our community. Our district is committed to addressing systemic barriers to create a culture of equity that benefits all students. We are committed to recruiting, developing, and retaining a diverse team of culturally competent educators. We strive to have our team reflect the different perspectives of our families and community so that we can work together to overcome obstacles, close the opportunity gaps, and prepare our students for continuous success.
HPS recruits and selects diverse educators, who are committed to our instructional vision to develop students’ individual, academic, social, and emotional capacities and growth within the classroom and beyond. Highly talented and qualified candidates with a passion for urban education, a commitment to our Hartford students, families, and community are strongly encouraged to apply immediately!
Why Should You Choose Hartford Public Schools?
Hartford Public Schools is seeking excellent candidates and wants to provide the best experience for you. We have put together a comprehensive package of benefits and incentives, including:
· Competitive salary
· Career growth opportunities
· Tuition reimbursement
· Professional development
· Rich health care plan
· Life insurance
· Residency differential for educators who reside in Hartford (3% of base salary)
· New administrator induction
· Leadership coaching
Diversity Among Us
Hartford Public Schools is a diverse community of scholars and educators. Among our approximately 17,000 students, there are 88 languages spoken; 22% of our student population are English Learners. Over 85% of the population are students of color. At Hartford Public Schools, we are intentional in our work to recruit and hire staff of various backgrounds. Currently, our staff identify as:
· American Indian: 0.09%
· Asian: 2.02%
· Black: 24.07%
· White: 46.26%
· Hispanic: 24.24%
· Other: 1.11%
· Not Reported/Unknown: 2.22%
Hartford is the Place for You
The state of Connecticut is seated on the northeastern seaboard. Hartford is within an hour’s drive of the coastline and is centrally located between New York City and Boston. Hartford is one of America’s oldest and most historic cities, made up of 17 unique neighborhoods rich in history and diversity. It is commonly known as the “insurance capital” due to its prominence beginning in the 19th century as home to many of the most prestigious insurance companies in the U.S., many of which still call Hartford home today. The city features world-class museums, entertainment, and sports venues and is home to several major companies. An array of restaurants reflecting cuisines from all over the world attract people from far and wide, and more than 200 arts, heritage, and cultural organizations in the Hartford region provide hundreds of events year-round. In addition, several universities and colleges are in Hartford and the surrounding towns, allowing easy access to advanced degree programs.
Position Subject to Available Funding
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D