Who We Are
Johns Manville is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality insulation and commercial roofing, along with glass fibers and nonwovens for commercial, industrial and residential applications. Our products are used in a wide variety of industries including building products, aerospace, automotive and transportation, filtration, commercial interiors, waterproofing and wind energy.
A proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, we serve customers in more than 80 countries around the globe. We are committed to delivering positive and powerful experiences, because we are successful only when our employees and customers thrive. We are passionate, we care about people, we perform at a superior level, and we protect others and our environments.
Pay Range$160,000.00-$220,000.00 Annual
This is the base salary pay range that an applicant can expect to make upon hire. Pay within this range will vary based upon relevant experience, skills, and education among other factors. In addition, this position is eligible for an incentive bonus.
Our McPherson, KS facility is looking for their next Plant Manager to run this 24/7 non-union operation.
The purpose of the Plant Manager’s role is to provide the overall management and leadership for the facility. The Plant Manager will be responsible for managing all functions of a manufacturing facility including Environmental, Health & Safety, Human Resources, Finance, SIOP, Maintenance, Capital and Physical Distribution.
- Create policy and implement procedures for plant operations
- Drive continuous productivity improvement in manufacturing operations
- Lead, manage and develop managers and employees to assure the necessary capabilities and culture are in place to maintain effective operations including establishing direction, gaining commitment, delegating and building organizational capabilities
- Evaluate financial performance and take appropriate actions
- Develop and coach a staff that is committed to the JM value structure and achievement of business goals
- Create a work environment that ensures safety and health of employees and community
- Coordinate the activities of the facility and resources to meet business needs
- Focus on continuing to improve the competitiveness of operations by continuous improvement of people, business processes, and technologies
- Implement recommendations, drive change initiatives, recognize customer commitment and drive activity for continued quality improvement
- Establish and manage activities in conjunction with senior management for the purpose of meeting both short and long term plant goals
- Improve efficiency and capacity through capital expenditure (investing opportunities to increase the plant capacity and ability to produce additional products)
- Design, implement and manage measurement tracking and reporting systems for the plant
- Embrace and drive JM’s emphasis on safety and environmental practices to either meet or exceed company commitments, policies, and compliance requirements
- Represent JM to the external community and agencies
- May be required to perform other related duties as assigned
What You Bring to the Team:
- Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 10 years of experience in increasing levels of responsibility in a manufacturing environment and 3 years plant manager experience
- Direct experience with production, engineering, warehouse, maintenance and quality functions in a plant environment
- Proven collaborative and participative management skills
- Experience in leading and motivating teams of 50 or more of salaried and hourly employees
- Proven financial skills and business acumen
- Proven knowledge and success with a continuous improvement process discipline such as Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, Keppner-Tregoe, etc.
- Experience with environmental permitting, regulatory agencies and plant safety programs
- Experience in managing capital programs
- Experience in maintaining a union-free workforce
- Strong technical and mechanical aptitude
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and set direction
- Ability to interface at all levels of the organization, both internally and externally
- Moderate travel required (11 – 29 days per year)
- Primary work environment is typical of an office setting.
- When in the manufacturing facility, may be exposed to environmental conditions of cold, heat, high noise levels, moving mechanical parts, heights, dust/mist/gas/fumes, extensive walking or climbing, etc.
- May be required to lift, carry, push or pull up to and including 50 pounds
Please Keep in Mind
If you do not meet 100% of these requirements, we at JM still want to hear from you. So, if you are interested in the role, we encourage you to apply so we can learn how your skills and talents can contribute to our team.
Johns Manville (JM) offers a wide range of benefits to employees. Some are subsidized by the company and others are fully employee-paid. Health benefits include a choice of comprehensive medical plans, a dental plan, vision plan, wellness program and critical illness insurance. JM sponsors a 401(k) plan which includes a sizeable company match. JM offers paid vacation and also provides paid sick and parental leave for eligible employees.
Additionally, Johns Manville provides basic life Insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and business travel accident coverage. Supplemental life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance are available as well. The company also offers a variety of tax saving accounts; health spending account, traditional flexible spending account, and a dependent care spending account. JM also offers a tuition reimbursement program for undergraduate and certain graduate programs.
Diversity & Inclusion
Johns Manville believes diversity and inclusion in our workplace is critical for the long-term success of our company. We are committed to retaining, developing and attracting a diverse workforce that fosters an inclusive work environment in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. This is the right thing to do for our employees, our company and our communities. Our D&I council is composed of employees from locations across North American & Europe who meet regularly and work to promote and foster an environment of inclusion. Born from our D&I council is our network of employee resource groups (ERGs) that are focused on supporting diverse communities in the workplace. Review more about our diversity & inclusion initiatives on JM’s Career page.
Incumbent must be physically able to perform essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.