Industrial Maintenance Mechanic
Who We Are
Johns Manville is a leading manufacturer and marketer of premium-quality insulation and commercial roofing, along with glass fibers and nonwovens for commercial, industrial and residential applications. Our products are used in a wide variety of industries including building products, aerospace, automotive and transportation, filtration, commercial interiors, waterproofing and wind energy.
A proud member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies, we serve customers in more than 80 countries around the globe. We are committed to delivering positive and powerful experiences, because we are successful only when our employees and customers thrive. We are passionate, we care about people, we perform at a superior level, and we protect others and our environments.The base hourly rate for this position is $35.03
Are you looking for a rewarding position with an employer of choice? If you have a background as a mechanic and enjoy working in a fast-paced team environment Johns Manville is the company for you!
The Johns Manville facility in Penbryn, NJ manufacturers fiberglass building insulation for use in residential and commercial applications and is currently seeking qualified applicants for an Industrial Maintenance Mechanic (Class A/Class B). Under general supervision of Maintenance Supervisor and direction of Maintenance Lead, the Maintenance Mechanic performs routine and less complex maintenance and repair work on machinery, equipment, systems, buildings, facilities and physical structures.
Pay Range from $30.15-35.03 This is what an applicant can expect to make upon hire. Pay within this range will vary based upon relevant experience, skills, and education among other factors.
At the Penbryn, NJ plant, we follow the DuPont Schedule, employees work 12-hour shifts over a 28-day repeat cycle. Working four-night shifts, three days off, work three-day shifts, one day off, work three-night shifts, three days off and work four-day shifts, then seven days off.
Your Day to Day:
- Be an active participant in the safety process and practice safe work habits at all times.
- Perform mechanical preventative maintenance according to an established schedule on all equipment. Inspect machinery and take faulty equipment out of operation until repaired.
- Effectively troubleshoot all mechanical equipment to identify issues and take necessary corrective actions to repair, replace or rebuild.
- Maintain an open and candid working relationship with coworkers from all departments and immediate supervisor/manager.
- Read, interpret and follow blueprints and sketches, making all measurements and calculations necessary to complete the job.
- Complete work orders, requisitions, inspection reports, time distribution, material usage, etc., and perform other clerical duties necessary to maintain proper records relative to the work performed.
- May operate mobile equipment.
- During cleanouts and emergencies, may work with other maintenance employees, performing any duties to get equipment back into operations in minimum time.
- Complete monthly training as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
What You Bring to the Team:
- Minimum 3+ years of mechanical experience with knowledge of pneumatics, hydraulics, power transmission, as well as welding, cutting and troubleshooting skills.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Technical or vocational degree or certification (preferred)
- Mechanical journeyman certification (preferred)
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals and drawings.
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and handle multiple priorities and projects.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence legibly.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, straightforward written or verbal instructions.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Experience with machine safety topics such as guarding, hot work and lockout/tagout.
- Ability to be trained in-house to obtain a license to operate Lift truck operations, JLG, etc.
- Ability to work all shifts including rotating 12-hour shifts.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and communicate accurately with coworkers. The employee will frequently engage in repetitive motions. The employee must frequently, lift, push or pull 50 pounds and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with assistance. Visual acuity is required to work around and with machinery including close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
This job is in an industrial, manufacturing environment. The job requires working frequently around and with heavy machinery with moving mechanical parts, industrial ovens, and mobile equipment. The environment is not climate controlled and employees must be able to work in environments that may be extremely hot and humid or cold depending upon the operation and the season. Walking surfaces can be wet, dusty, and uneven. Areas of the building where work must be done have high noise levels, vibration, and/or fumes. Some working areas contain the presence of airborne particles which can irritate the skin or eyes. The manufacturing process involves toxic or caustic chemicals. Employees are required to wear personal protective equipment which includes steel toed shoes, ear protection, eye protection, gloves, head protection and in certain areas may be required to where dust masks or respirators.
Please Keep in Mind
If you do not meet 100% of these requirements, we at JM still want to hear from you. So, if you are interested in the role, we encourage you to apply so we can learn how your skills and talents can contribute to our team.
Johns Manville (JM) offers a wide range of benefits to employees. Some are subsidized by the company and others are fully employee-paid. Health benefits include a choice of comprehensive medical plans, a dental plan, vision plan, wellness program and critical illness insurance. JM sponsors a 401(k) plan which includes a sizeable company match. JM offers paid vacation and also provides paid sick and parental leave for eligible employees.
Additionally, Johns Manville provides basic life Insurance, short-term and long-term disability coverage, an employee assistance program, and business travel accident coverage. Supplemental life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment insurance are available as well. The company also offers a variety of tax saving accounts; health spending account, traditional flexible spending account, and a dependent care spending account. JM also offers a tuition reimbursement program for undergraduate and certain graduate programs.
Diversity & Inclusion
Johns Manville believes diversity and inclusion in our workplace is critical for the long-term success of our company. We are committed to retaining, developing and attracting a diverse workforce that fosters an inclusive work environment in which all employees are treated with dignity and respect. This is the right thing to do for our employees, our company and our communities. Our D&I council is composed of employees from locations across North American & Europe who meet regularly and work to promote and foster an environment of inclusion. Born from our D&I council is our network of employee resource groups (ERGs) that are focused on supporting diverse communities in the workplace. Review more about our diversity & inclusion initiatives on JM’s Career page.
Incumbent must be physically able to perform essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.