POSTING DATE: May 11, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
POSITION: Cook Manager – Sports and Medical Science Academy and Pathways Academy of Technology and Design
REPORTS TO: FieldOperations Manager
SUPERVISES: Full and part-time food service employees working at the school he/she is assigned to.
Supervises all aspects of the food service operation to maintain a smooth and efficiently managed meal program in his/her assigned school. Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in preparing, cooking, serving, and storing of food in the school cafeteria or special functions. Prepares daily reports, orders, payroll, and inventory in an accurate and timely manner.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Is responsible for food preparation as determined by the menu and other program requirements.
· Supervises and directs staff, food production, facilities cleaning, meal service, and other related duties.
· Assists, as needed, in the preparation, service and cleanup of student meals, adult meals and a la carte items.
· Opens and closes the kitchen.
· Forecasts amount of food and supplies needed; prepares all monthly, weekly, and daily orders on proper forms and submits to Food Service Office in a timely manner.
· Maintains inventory using proper storage principles and records month end inventory submitting to Food Service Office in a timely manner.
· Responsible for ensuring that proper sanitary and health standards are maintained for food receiving, storage, preparation and serving including cleaning and care of all equipment and work areas.
· Trains, instructs, supervises, and evaluates staff assigned to his/her school in food preparation and service, food safety and sanitation procedures, and proper personal hygiene.
· Plans and directs daily staff work schedule and job task rotations.
· Controls quality and determines quantity of food prepared and served.
· Responsible for accurate preparation of food production records.
· Submits written records to Food Service Office as required in a timely manner.
· Responsible for bank deposit and cash reconciliation.
· Maintains good public relations with students, parents, faculty, and staff.
· Performs related work as assigned.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· High School Diploma or equivalent.
· 2 years’ experience in institutional food service or closely related field.
· Comprehensive knowledge of the procedures, practices operations, and equipment required for institutional food preparation.
· Ability to organize, supervise, train, and evaluate staff.
· Ability to manage or perform the full range of tasks required to prepare, serve, and store food in a quality institutional food service unit.
· Demonstrate organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
· Possess ability to follow directions in English, both written and oral, to ensure safety of food preparation and services.
· Demonstrate a general knowledge of safe food handling principles as well as personal hygiene.
· Knowledge in the use of food service equipment in a safe and efficient manner.
· Competent in basic computation such as weights, measures, adding, subtracting, division, and multiplication.
· Proficient in the use of a calculator and computer.
· Demonstrate the ability to deal effectively and courteously with students, food service department staff and school personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions. The individual must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time, engage in repetitive motion, and be able to lift 40 pounds. Must be able to tolerate extreme temperature changes from freezer to oven area (0-90 degrees F).
A Food Protection Certification Program
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
10 Month Work Year. 7.25 hrs. per day. In Accordance with Local 566-AFL-CIO, Schedule
71D, (2022-2023 $20.18 - $22.19).
Successful completion of a probationary work period. After which an annual, in writing evaluation is completed by the Field Operations Manager.
Local 566 of Council 4
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: All current internaland externalapplicants must submit an online application. To apply, please visit https://app.hirenimble.com/jobs/hartfordand follow the appropriate link.
HPS recruits and selects diverse professionals, who are committed to developing students’ individual, academic, social, and emotional capacities and growth within the classroom and beyond. Highly talented and qualified candidates with a passion for urban education, a commitment to our Hartford students, families, and community are strongly encouraged to apply immediately!
Why Should You Choose Hartford Public Schools?
Hartford Public Schools is seeking excellent candidates and wants to provide the best experience for you. We have put together a comprehensive package of benefits and incentives, including:
● Competitive salary
● Career growth opportunities
● Tuition reimbursement
● Rich health care plan
● Professional development
Diversity Among Us
Hartford Public Schools is a diverse community of scholars and educators. Among our 18,000 students, there are 90 languages spoken; 22% of our student population are English Learners. Over 85% of the population are students of color. At Hartford Public Schools, we are well above the national average for diverse teachers and administrators. Among our teachers and administrators, 27% and 47%, respectively, identify as people of color.
Hartford is the Place for You
The state of Connecticut is seated on the northeastern seaboard. Hartford is within an hour’s drive of the coastline and is centrally located between New York City and Boston. Hartford is one of America’s oldest and most historic cities, made up of 17 unique neighborhoods rich in history and diversity. It is commonly known as the “insurance capital” due to its prominence beginning in the 19th century as home to many of the most prestigious insurance companies in the U.S., many of which still call Hartford home today. The city features world-class museums, entertainment, and sports venues and is home to several major companies. An array of restaurants reflecting cuisines from all over the world attract people from far and wide, and more than 200 arts, heritage, and cultural organizations in the Hartford region provide hundreds of events year-round. In addition, several universities and colleges are in Hartford and the surrounding towns, allowing easy access to advanced degree programs.
Position Subject to Available Funding
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D