Comprehensive Intervention Specialist - Capital Preparatory Magnet School (N134-2324)
POSTING NUMBER: N134-2324
POSTING DATE: June 29, 2023
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
POSITION: Comprehensive Intervention Specialist
REPORTS TO: Principal
LOCATION: Capital Preparatory Magnet School
This position requires an understanding and sensitivity to the cultural norms of inner city, minority populations that often contend with challenging social and economic obstacles to educational achievement. The primary function of this position is to coordinate internal and external resources and support program development in order to address the needs of at risk students and promote academic achievement for all students.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Intervene with students who are sent to the Intervention Center.
- Increase student awareness of their behavior and the consequences of their actions.
- Assist students to develop a plan to solve problems/conflicts.
- Assist students to develop strategies to prevent further conflicts.
- Teach students social skills e.g. anger management, stress management, conflict resolution.
- Collect data to document the utilization of the Intervention Center.
- Ensure that all data and forms are correctly completed.
- Develop reports on the progress of their activities as directed by the coordinator.
- Communicate with teacher/parents regarding the progress of students with behaviors of concern.
- Participate in professional development as requested by Principal.
- Perform other related duties as directed by the supervisor.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma with work experience in mediation and conflict resolution or an Associate’s Degree and work experience.
- Training in intervention methodology or willingness to attend training sessions upon hire.
- Experience supervising groups of children and working with urban youth.
- Experience in working with urban youth.
- Experience in prevention work necessary.
- Ability to implement training programs to students.
- Knowledge and sensitivity to culturally diverse population.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work with individuals, small groups and in a team approach.
- Ability to communicate and motivate students to address behaviors of concern.
- Ability to work independently with good organizational skills and the ability to be flexible and handle changing priorities.
- Ability to handle stressful situations and work within difficult time constraints.
- Experience in program implementation, record keeping and reporting essential, which includes computer skills.
- Able to work an extended day to meet the goals of the school.
- Preferred Bilingual/Bi-Cultural
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Eleven-Month Work Year/Salary Grid B460 ($33,323-$39,521)
Hartford Educational Support Personnel (HESP)
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: All current internal and external applicants must submit an online application. To apply, please visit https://app.hirenimble.com/jobs/hartford and follow the appropriate link.
Hartford Public Schools (Hartford, Connecticut) is a diverse community of educators and approximately 18,000 students attending 39 distinctive magnet, community, and neighborhood schools, located in the capital city of Connecticut. We are committed to being a leader in innovative urban education, cultivating equity and excellence for all of our students, closing the opportunity gaps, and preparing students for life, college, career, and success.
HPS recruits and selects diverse professionals, who are committed to developing students’ individual, academic, social, and emotional capacities and growth within the classroom and beyond. Highly talented and qualified candidates with a passion for urban education, a commitment to our Hartford students, families, and community are strongly encouraged to apply immediately!
Why Should You Choose Hartford Public Schools?
Hartford Public Schools is seeking excellent candidates and wants to provide the best experience for you. We have put together a comprehensive package of benefits and incentives, including:
● Competitive salary
● Career growth opportunities
● Tuition reimbursement
● Rich health care plan
● Professional development
Diversity Among Us
Hartford Public Schools is a diverse community of scholars and educators. Among our 18,000 students, there are 90 languages spoken; 22% of our student population are English Learners. Over 85% of the population are students of color. At Hartford Public Schools, we are well above the national average for diverse teachers and administrators. Among our teachers and administrators, 27% and 47%, respectively, identify as people of color.
Hartford is the Place for You
The state of Connecticut is seated on the northeastern seaboard. Hartford is within an hour’s drive of the coastline and is centrally located between New York City and Boston. Hartford is one of America’s oldest and most historic cities, made up of 17 unique neighborhoods rich in history and diversity. It is commonly known as the “insurance capital” due to its prominence beginning in the 19th century as home to many of the most prestigious insurance companies in the U.S., many of which still call Hartford home today. The city features world-class museums, entertainment, and sports venues and is home to several major companies. An array of restaurants reflecting cuisines from all over the world attract people from far and wide, and more than 200 arts, heritage, and cultural organizations in the Hartford region provide hundreds of events year-round. In addition, several universities and colleges are in Hartford and the surrounding towns, allowing easy access to advanced degree programs.
Position Subject to Available Funding
An Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/V/D