Adjunct Faculty Member in Sport Performance Psychology
Saybrook University is seeking an Adjunct Faculty Member to join its Department of Applied Psychophysiology and support the new Master’s Degree in Sport Performance Psychology. The most immediate need is an instructor to update and teach a course in the Psychological Aspects of Athletic Injury. There may be opportunity to teach additional courses as well as the program evolves.
Saybrook University is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body and is recruiting passionate scholar-practitioners to support the university mission.
Under the direction of the Applied Psychophysiology Department Chair, the Adjunct Faculty Member is responsible for modeling instructional excellence in teaching and mentoring activities. Ideal candidates have expertise in the field of Sports Psychology. They also understand diverse student learners and the humanistic culture embedded within Saybrook University.
Position Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Supporting curriculum development, syllabi revisions, and teaching courses specific to:
o Psychological Aspects of Athletic Injury and possibly,
o Cognitive and Affective Performance Psychology
o Counseling Skills and Athletic Counseling
• Collaborating frequently and maintaining timely communication with the APH Department Chair
• Delivering high quality courses that foster critical thinking, experiential learning, and writing.
• Providing constructive feedback and mentorship to students enrolled in the program.
• Participating in virtual or residential/educational conferences to present workshops specific to thanatological studies and contemplative care.
• Attending required faculty training (e.g., Canvas, IRB, HR) and departmental, college, and university meetings.
• Maintaining effective professional and community involvement and/or affiliations.
• Doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning is preferred, however strong Master’s Level Candidates will be considered. A strong background in Sports Psychology, Performing Arts, and/or Psychophysiology is preferred.
• Demonstrated scholarship and/or accomplishments in the field with an emphasis Sports Psychology.
• Relevant supervision and teaching experience in the field of Sports Psychology or Performing Arts
• Commitment to multicultural, humanistic principles and student-centered education.
• Knowledge of higher education best practices.
• Experience with ethnically diverse and/or other special populations.
• Collegial attitude and willingness to work within a matrix organization. • Clear communication skills. • License or certification in appropriate discipline, as appropriate (i.e., clinical psychology, counseling, coaching, etc. Membership in AASP encouraged.
• Engage in ongoing technology education and adoption of new systems and processes.
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the field of Sports Psychology and the psychology of injury. A background in teaching counseling skills and other areas of Sports Psychology preferred.
• Strong commitment to the goals and vision of Saybrook University.
• Committed to excellence in teaching, practice, and research (experience with online instruction is desirable).
• Capable of offering on-line instruction regarding topics and skills within their areas of expertise.
• Create a sense of unity and common purpose and manage change effectively.
• Experience with Office 365 and Learning Management Systems (Canvas experience preferred).
• Willingness to travel for occasional residential conference events.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About Saybrook University
Saybrook University was founded over 50 years ago by some of the greatest minds of the 20th century and continues to inspire a new generation of innovators. A non-profit regionally accredited university known for its commitment to humanistic studies and rigorous research, Saybrook University’s academic model puts the student at the center of everything we do to provide a unique, transformational, learning experience. Saybrook offers advanced degrees in organizational systems, psychology, mind-body medicine, applied psychophysiology and counseling, all in flexible learning formats to help students continue to be active contributors to the fields they work in while they advance their education. Saybrook University is proud to be a diverse, inclusive community of creative, compassionate innovators dedicated to pursuing new ways of thinking and doing for our professions, organizations, and communities. For more information, visit www.saybrook.edu.
Compensation & Benefits
Three credit courses are budgeted at $2,000-4,000 per course, dependent upon student enrollment. Two credit courses are budgeted at $1,334-2,668 per course, dependent upon student enrollment. Under-enrolled courses may fall below these ranges. Additional compensation factors may impact total compensation. To learn more about our competitive benefits and additional rewards, including generous paid time-off, medical and dental insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, retirement plan with employer contribution, multiple flexible spending accounts, tuition reimbursement, click the link below.
Saybrook University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.